Friday, May 15, 2009

The Strokes

My first experience with luck points (that I can remember) came at The Strokes concert at the Bank of America Pavilion in Boston where I was an undergrad at Emmanuel College. I was with my best friend, Kristin, my sister Chelsea and her best friend Molly. We had modest seats- nothing spectacular but we could see the stage. We begrudgingly watched the opening act (Wolfmother) and noticed the many open seats in the front of the venue. What is the possibility of sneaking into one of those seats? After the horrible opening act we decided to stake out the joint and see if it would be possible to get a seat closer to the stage. The menacing security men at each section deterred us and we gave up, moving on to the merch table to my sister could get a t-shirt. We reached the tent and as my sister approached the table and I joined her, I saw 4 guys talking to Kristin and Molly and simply thought these guys were hitting on them. I hear Kristin say, "Oh my God, are you serious?" and see a security guard approach them and he reaches for something.
4 tickets are in Kristin's hand and the security guard reaches out to inspect them. I immediately think that we have been duped and this security guard is going to kick all of us out for some reason. I'm an overly cautious person. He looks at the tickets and tells us ther are legit. They are 4 first row tickets. These boys had come only to see Wolfmother (!) and had no interest in seeing The Strokes and saw us four girls and decided to gift the tickets to us. We were hysterical. Everything after this is a blur. I remember walking down the aisle with out sacred tickets in hand and seeing the ushers looking at us with praise and moving us down the aisle until we reached the first row. We showed the usher our tickets and she exclaimed, "congratulations girls!" and we took our places front and center and had the time of our lives.
If we had stayed searching for a way to get seats up front, or if my sister hadn't wanted to get a t-shirt we would have missed that opportunity. Those 4 boys, who I still wonder about and wish to thank, if they had not seen us, who knows what they would have done with those tickets. They made our night. My interest in The Strokes has waned since then but that concert holds a place in my mind as the moment I realized I was blessed and cemented my belief in luck. Luck may just be good timing, or coincidence, which I don't doubt but I feel as though I am one of those people who are luckier than most. Things just work out for me.

Together again like the beginning
It all works somehow in the end
The things we did, the things you hide
And for the record, it's between you and I
-The Strokes "Barely Legal"

No comments:

Post a Comment