Thursday, May 28, 2009

What is a Luck Point?

You can't hold it, put it in a special box or hang it on the refrigerator. It is not something you can see, touch or even feel. You have no idea that your Luck Points are accumulating until they explode like fireworks and you find yourself in a magical moment and realize that you have done something to deserve this moment. I first came across luck points my junior year of college after the aforementioned Strokes concert. How in the world did I become lucky enough to get front row tickets to that concert? Why had those 4 boys chosen us? All the other terms for events like this just didn't seem to encapsulate what actually happened. It wasn't karma, or coincidence or good timing. Luck describes it well but how exactly did I get to be so lucky? This is when I started to attribute my good luck to Luck Points. When you do something for someone else, or even yourself, you receive luck points that will be cashed in at a later time. I don't know how many you receive each time or how many you need to cash in. I made up the idea so I guess I can just make up those numbers but I would rather leave it a mystery for now. It's not about the numbers anyway.
So what did I do that gave me enough points to get front row at The Strokes? All I can think of is that I bought my best friends ticket for her and surprised her with it. If I had not done this it would have just been my sister, her friend and me and maybe those boys would have kept on looking for a foursome and we never would have known it was like to feel so lucky. Maybe during the summer I did something nice for my family or put in extra effort at work. I don't know, but I do know that buying that ticket for Kristin was the best thing I've ever done.
I think Luck Points is a form of hope. It is the hope that how you are living your life will amount to something. It is the hope that one day someone will do something nice for you in return. I don't want to make it seem as though I am making a good versus evil blog where good people receive luck points and bad people receive...bad luck points, I just want to share my stories. I know not everyone believes in luck and some people think that the only kind of hope is false hope but they can make their own blog. This is for me, and you.

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow." -Dorothy Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment